Position: Payroll Clerk
Reports to: Payroll Manager
The Payroll Administrator will compile and coordinate payroll activities including but not limited to recording hours of work, processing time records, compiling payroll statistics, maintaining payroll control records, calculating payrolls and managing employee benefit distributions.
- Adhere to weekly, biweekly and semimonthly deadlines in processing payrolls.
- Compile payroll data such as days and hours worked, from automated timekeeping system and other records, to prepare weekly and semi-monthly payrolls.
- Compute wages and deductions and post weekly and semimonthly payrolls.
- Review wages computed and correct errors to ensure accuracy of payroll.
- Direct compilation and preparation of other payroll data such as pension, insurance, credit union payments and other related deductions and pay components.
- Review and approve payroll deductions including pre & post tax, union related and garnishments. Ensures all invoices are paid on time.
- Adhere to Bargaining Unit Agreement in paying all bargaining unit employees.
- Ensure that time off is available to employees before processing time off.
- Prorate pay for those employees who will not be paid for the entire pay period.
- Determine work procedures, prepares work schedules, and expedites workflow.
- Prepare, pay and reconcile union pension, and health insurance on a monthly basis.
- Create weekly report for union 401k and prepares wire information.
- Interpret company policies, government regulations and Bargaining Unit Agreements affecting payroll procedures.
- Notify union, pension, insurance contacts when employees transfer between union and non-union status.
- Pay and reconcile all garnishments on a regular basis.
- Prepare and issue paychecks.
- Bring knowledge and process improvement ideas to the table, while adhering to procedures and process steps in the administration of payroll within established guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE/TRAINING/EDUCATION: An Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from and accredited two year college.
- A Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from an accredited four-year college or university is preferred.
- 3 to 5 years of Payroll experience required.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: This position will require the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. This position will also require the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. This position will further require the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups’ managers, employees, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: This position will require the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals. This position will also require the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY: This position will require the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. This position will also require the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certified Payroll Professional (CCP) or Fundamental Payroll Certification (FCP) preferred.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) environment.
- Experience using Kronos is highly desirable.
- Experience using Workday, Oracle Payroll, PeopleSoft, ADP or SAP is highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving, and effective communication skills are also required with a desire and ability to work and communicate as a team.
- In-house payroll is required.
- Experience with payrolls of 1,000+ employees preferred.
- Union experience preferred.
- Self-starter, with minimal direct supervision is preferred.
- Strong verbal and writing communication skills required.
- Ability to work in Multi-state payroll and have tax knowledge.